Start Date: 10/25/2018 7:30 AM PDT
End Date: 10/25/2018 4:00 PM PDT
Venue Name: David Evans and Associates, Inc. Location:
2100 SW River Parkway
Portland, OR United States 97201
Learn the Critical Elements of
Successful Technical Writing
Correct bad habits and reinforce good habits
All messages fit within a broad communication environment. The large amount of technical information that professionals must consolidate and explain in technical documents requires skills to ensure that the information is understood by the intended audience. This course explores methods for understanding the communication context, guiding the selection and organization of information, revealing the structural plan for the information, integrating visuals, and communicating with effective sentences and paragraphs.
You will learn the critical elements of technical writing:
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Audience and purpose
- Organizational strategies
- Document design principles (including effective use of graphics)
- Writing and revision methods
Engineers, scientists, and technical writers and editors who spend much of their time writing, revising, and editing documents will find this workshop useful in honing their technical communication skills.
PRAISE FOR THE PROGRAM
CLASS SIZE LIMITED TO 20!
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Dr. Jan Spyridakis is Professor in the Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering at the University of Washington. She has a long history of providing high-level instruction both in industry and at the University of Washington. She is the recipient of six teaching and seven research awards. Read more about Jan here: https://www.hcde.washington.edu/jansp.
- The feedback was phenomenal. I’m actually surprised because I never see our scientists and engineers get that enthusiastic about something.
- Examples and exercises were helpful. Good overall and applicable to my work.
- Writer view and organization was great—what our company needed.
- Very useful, applicable material.
- Very knowledgeable and well-spoken with concrete topics.
- Presenter made content easy to understand.
- Covered items we debate about in the office.
- Common errors and mistakes in daily writing were clearly covered.
- Very thorough, and materials given to us were very helpful—especially since we can take handbooks with us.
- Interactive and open discussions.
- I am beginning to write reports and this was great information to get me started.
- Good review of passive (voice) vs. active.
- Very informative; good instructor.
- Corrected bad habits and reinforced good habits. Clarified technical questions.
- Topics were spot on to what I deal with at work. Examples that Jan used in discussion and for practice were useful/helpful.
- Definitely made me reconsider how I approach writing.
- Lots of great content; new ways to view old problems.
- 7:30 a.m. - Check-in and breakfast
- 8:00 a.m. - Program begins (includes lunch)
- 4:00 p.m. - Conclusion
Program is good for 7 (seven) continuing professional development credits.
SAVE $$! Register by September 28, 2018
Registration includes course notebook, breakfast and lunch.
|Members & their guests
If your firm is an ACEC Oregon member,
then you are a member.
Non-members are welcome to attend!
October 18, 2018
Cancellations must be received by October 18, 2018.
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2100 SW River Parkway
Portland, OR 97201
There are a few parking garages nearby:
- RiverPlace @ The Strand, 1852 SW River Drive ($16 max.)
- City Center Parking, 1875 SW River Drive ($16 max.)
- Montgomery Garage, 309 SW Montgomery Street ($10 max.)