Senior Environmental Permitting Specialist
Wolf Water Resources (W2r) specializes in watershed science and engineering working to build river health and resilience throughout the western United States and abroad. Our work takes place in the rivers, streams, and wetlands of both urban areas and remote wilderness and regulatory drivers and stakeholders are key components to the work we do.
Candidates should understand and appreciate the balance between the built and natural environments, enjoy developing innovative and practical solutions to meet project objectives, and value exceptional client service. The ideal candidate will possess the required educational background and multiple years of experience in permitting and managing water resources and habitat restoration projects (in Oregon and Washington) and in conducting natural resources assessments. Experience in transportation, stormwater, or utility projects is a plus. Project examples on which the candidate may work include river/ stream/ floodplain restoration, bridge and culvert replacement, roadway/utility corridor infrastructure, stormwater studies, and floodplain management. W2r is steadily expanding our service areas and the geographies in which we work in the pursuit of improved watershed and environmental health.
It is expected that all W2r project staff may perform field work at any stage of a project (site assessment through construction phases). The candidate should be comfortable in the outdoors and able to hike in a variety of conditions.
- BA/BS in an applicable field (i.e., environmental science/policy, natural resource planning, biology, or closely related discipline). MS or higher degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant permitting experience is required, with at least 5 years of experience in a lead permitting role on large, complex projects. Experience managing and securing permit approvals for water resources projects in Oregon and Washington is desired.
- Project management and business development experience required.
- Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) certification desired.
- Valid State Driver’s license (occasional travel may be needed for project visits or in-person meetings).
Senior Environmental Permitting Specialist
||Wolf Water Resources, Inc.
|Posting Start Date:
Essential Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities
- Serve as permit specialist and/or project manager for projects of varying complexity; coordinate and develop relationships with regulatory staff; collaborate with team members (internally and with subconsultant partners) of various technical disciplines, and communicate responsively to clients and project stakeholders. Allocate staff to project tasks, provide task management, manage project budgets, and communicate responsively to the client and project subconsultants. Actively collaborate with team members and clients to creatively develop compliance strategies that meet project goals; represent clients and projects in negotiation with regulatory agencies.
- Monitor scope, schedule, and budget for projects as the project manager or manage tasks as the permitting task lead.
- Lead state and federal permitting efforts for projects including writing NEPA-compliant documentation (EA and EIS), ESA consultations (BA, Sections 7 and 10), CWA (Sections 401 and 404), NPDES permits, and developing mitigation plans.
- Lead other state and local environmental permitting efforts including SEPA, land use, Goal 5/ E zones, site development and shoreline permits.
- Read and interpret engineering analysis and calculations (scour, sediment transport, log stability, hydraulics) and plan sets.
- Possess technical knowledge of biological systems and ecosystem processes.
- Conduct natural resource assessments including biological and critical areas field investigations.
- Possess excellent technical writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical competence in developing work products and apply quality control practices to the development of work products and management of projects.
- Use GPS, basic field equipment, and maps.
- Comfortably use current versions of database software, spreadsheet software, and word processing software. AutoCAD drafting software and/or GIS software familiarity is a plus.
- Actively maintain appropriate licensures/ certifications (PWS desired), and proactively seek opportunity for continuing education.
- Present project studies/ work at industry events.
- Develop scopes of work and fee estimates and work with marketing staff to prepare proposals for new projects.
- Pursue business development; build and maintain existing and new client relationships (networking, presentations, etc.).
- Analytical Abilities - Synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data; design work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving Abilities - Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions.
- Technical Skills - Continuously build knowledge and skills; share expertise with others.
- Communication Skills - Listen and obtain clarification; respond well to questions; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively; vary writing style to meet needs; present technical data effectively.
- People Management Skills - Foster quality focus in others; improve processes, products, and services.
- Judgment - Exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions.
- Attention to Quality - Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; apply company protocols and tools for quality assurance and quality control of work processes and products.
- Adaptable - Adapt positively and proactively to changes in the work environment or project delays/ unexpected events.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently exposed to weather and outdoor conditions. Limited field work is required. The employee should be comfortable in the outdoors and able to hike in various conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/ or humid conditions, unstable ground, hillslope environments, and extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee must be able to lift 50 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Periodic travel to project sites and other consultant offices may be required including the geographic range of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and California.
Remote work options will be considered. Residing in Portland, Oregon is not required, but is desired.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
W2r encourages applicants of all races, creeds, sexual orientations, backgrounds, and personal viewpoints. We are actively trying to support underrepresented groups in the water resources and restoration communities.
||This listing expires on: 1/3/2022